Saturday, June 9, 2007

Sunday June 10 - Virginia to Ft Lauderdale

My journey comes to a close shortly.  Wow, I left on May 1 for an around-the-world adventure, and an adventure I had.  I learned so much and saw so many new things - met so many interesting people - ate different foods - and had an experience of a lifetime.  Chris asked me at dinner last night where my next trip was and I'm going to start planning that when I get home.  I think the African safari in Mozambique or Kenya is in the cards - but I may make this another around-the-world experience for me.  I need a map so I can start picking out the next places.

I slept until 8:30, showered, dressed, ate breakfast, and then watched Nadal play Federer in the French Open.  Chris slep late.  I got my things packed up and am planning to leave Fredericksburg around 1 pm to ensure I get back to Dulles in time for my 5 pm flight on United Ted to Ft Lauderdale.

I was albe to get the pantry floor and threshold laid at Chris' home (last thing left from the remodel I gave him) and that looks great.  I got the floor and threshold down in the hall closet but I'm not happy with the floor and will need to "tweak" it when I get back to Virginia.  I left Chris' house at 1:15 and had no trouble with DC traffic for a change.  But the fun was yet to happen.

I got to Dulles at 2:30 and turned the car in and then b egan a United nightmare trying to checkin for my flight home.  I waited in 3 lines for almost an hour to get checked in just because I had a paper ticket and they had to process it "special".  I didn't feel special.  They wanted to charge me for my overweight bag but I convinced them that my Business Class ticket around the world allowed me to take more weight so they let that slide.  Before I left the checkin counter, I asked the Asian woman who helped me if the flight was on time - she looked it up and responded with a look of horror on her face - "OK - not good news!" - she was so funny.  The plane was going to be 1 1/2 hours late, so I got through security and went to Subway for a sandwich.  Then I tried to get in the United Club since I went around the world on United affiliated airlines.  They wouldn't let me in since I was on a domestic leg - frustrating.

So I went back to the departure loung only to find out that the plane was delayed yet another hour.  Long story - short - the plane ended up being 5 hours late.  The two hour flight was uneventful - but by the time I got my luggage and a taxi, it was after midnight when I got home.  Melody had retrieved all of my mail and there was a HUGE stack filling the kitchen counter.  The cloissone bowl had also arrived but not the silk rug.

I retired for the night about 1:30 am on Monday - and I was so HAPPY to be HOME!

Larry

No comments: